I Stand With Jemele Hill.
Hello everyone. You are currently tuned into the second edition of #InsideTheMind. I got a couple of things on my mind today so I think it was time to get on my computer and write. Here we go:
- First of all, I went to SU's Homecoming Concert last week and I fell more in love with H.E.R than I already was. The woman is simply amazing. First of all I think it is amazing how she transformed her career. For those who don't know, H.E.R is a woman by the name of Gabi Wilson (though H.E.R has never confirmed this, we all know). She is a very talented singer and lets be honest, she wasn't that popping as just being Gabi Wilson (sure you don't know who that is). She then became the mysterious H.E.R and her career has took off since. People love a mystique about an artist and she has stated that she wants people to focus on the music.
- However, I first saw her perform as an opener for Bryson Tiller and I honestly wasn't that impressed. LAWD, did she change my mind at SU's concert. She sang all the songs I wanted to hear and didn't miss a note all night. If you aren't listening to H.E.R, make sure you check H.E.R. out. If you're stuck on H.E.R. Vol. 1 like my friend Alana, Vol. 2 (as a collective) is better (though "Focus" is her best joint period). She is releasing both projects together with five additional songs this month to support her tour as well.
- So I have several thoughts to get to on this post. I had to mentioned H.E.R. before I forgot it but the real reason I had to blog today was to talk about ESPN suspending Jemele Hill for two weeks for her comments in the tweets above.
- All I can really say is...WHAT THE HELL ESPN?!?!?
- I see no problem with what Jemele Hill said but I definetly see a problem with what Cowgirls owner Jerry Jones said. For those who don't know, Jerry Jones said that the Dallas Cowboys will stand and not disrespect the National Anthem. If they disobeyed his orders, they would not be allowed to play in the game. I would love to see a Cowboys star like Dak Prescott or Zeke Elliot kneel this weekend to show that Jerry Jones is not a dictator to them but WE KNOW that won't happen. As an Eagles fan, I already hated the Cowboys and things like this justify my feelings.
- For months now its been talk about protesting "the right way". For one, a protest is not suppose to comfortable. For two, all Jemele Hill did was give a proper, effective way to protest what Jerry Jones said. Did she deserve a suspension for it? No! We have a President of the United States who can tweet whatever he wants and we are suppose to still support him right? So if Jemele can give logical ways to protest, why is there a problem with that??? WE WANT TO KNOW! Wait, we do know. Jerry Jones and the NFL didn't like what Jemele said so they made the call to get her suspended. WE WILL NOT BE SILENCED! If anything, the message in her tweets was made more broad and aware after the suspension.
- I stand with Jemele Hill so since she is suspended for two week, I am suspending myself from ESPN until she returns on air. We all talk about supporting a movement but do we ever make real sacrifices like we ask the our Pro-Athletes to do? I will say this will be hard task for me because the NBA starts next week but I will find a different outlet to watch next week. Instead of watching both First Take and Undisputed, I will strictly watch Undisputed on Fox Sports One (I kind of like this show better anyways; shoutout to Shannon Sharpe).
- Sidenote: I am not the biggest fan of Fox (mainly because of Fox News) but I will say I love how Fox Sports allows their employees (on-air) to speak their minds. Now while that is not always a good thing (Jason Whitlock), thank God for Shannon Sharpe and Fox Sports for allowing Sharpe to speak that real on Undisputed without having to filter himself. I would love to see Jemele be able to speak her mind.
- All in all, I am making a sacrifice and standing up for what I believe is right. If you believe the same, I challenge you to boycott them as well. BYE ESPN, SEE YOU IN TWO WEEKS!
Here a few quick hit thoughts:
- New articles coming on the site soon about the upcoming NBA Season and DATING.
- #TrapFish (remember this)
- This season of How To Get Away With Murder is going to be crazy!
- Olivia is feeling herself too much on #Scandal. I wonder who is going to give herself a reality check.
- I have been trying to listen to Gospel music on my way to work in the mornings and the song that always come on my playlist is "God's Got A Blessing" by Norman Hutchins. If you don't take anything from this post, I want you to know that God has a blessing WITH YOUR NAME ON IT! Just keep the faith, pray and believe! Be blessed.